Saturday, September 13, 2008

Raj Ghat

Today I visited someplace very special. The place is called the Raj Ghat. It is where the memorials for many of India's most important modern leaders are.


The center-piece of the site is the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi, considered the father of modern-day India. It is a wonderful place, completely walled in. They pipe in nice music and you can just walk around and enjoy the peace. Like all the memorials, you are required to remove your shoes before entering, which was especially difficult for a laminated frog like myself. In the end, I took pictures from the rim above.


Further down is the Forest of Peace, or Shanti Vana. Two memorials are housed in this forest. The inscriptions were very nice and spoke of their love for India.


Along the paths between the memorial sites are many rock gardens. Beautiful examples of native Indian rock. Since I know Frog Prince is an avid rock affectionado, I have taken some pictures of the good stone.

Here is my future palace.


And here is a sample that they date back to 1.5 billion years ago. Not even Papa was alive then.


Finally, I found the rock monument itself. This is the memorial of Indira Gandhi.

No comments: