Sunday, September 28, 2008

Parvati Hill

Well, its the weekend, so off I went again to explore the city. Again I headed towards the downtown area of Pune, specifically Saras Baug and Parvati Hill. Saras Baug is a local rest area and park. Parvati Hill is a hill fort with four temples, all of which appear to be dedicated to different forms of the Hindi goddess Parvati.


First to Saras Baug. One of the first things I noticed was a wonderful rest area, that even was made to be multi-species friendly.


I even found a good Travel Froggie-sized temple. All around, a very nice place.


After my relaxing morning at Saras Baug, I decided to ascend the hill. Upon making the summit, I found a wonderful little hill-fort complex. More importantly though, I made some new friends.


I won't include all the temples here, just click on one of them to be taken to my Picasa album with more pictures. I must say that the colors were amazing, as bright and lively as a small child's toy. Some of these temples date back over 400 years, and to see them so well preserved was nice.


In addition to the lovely temples, there is also a museum on top of the hill showcasing many historical artifacts from the region, including coins used thousands of years ago. I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the museum, but I was allowed to snap a few shots in the foyer. The murals in the foyer depicted scenes from Maharashta's golden years under Shivaji.


After seeing the sights there, I headed back to the hotel for a brief respite before trekking out for a five mile walk to visit a local palace. More on that next time. Ta-ta for now.

No comments: