Monday, October 6, 2008

Chaturshigri Mata Mandir

Well, its been over a week now since I visited the Chaturshigri Mata Mandir and others, so figured it about time to blog about it.

The Chaturshigri Mata Mandir is a lovely temple to an Indian god. I think it is to Pavarti or Shakti, but I'm not sure. Either was it was a very beautiful, peaceful place.


After visiting the temple, it was off to the Mahatma Phule museum. They had a wonderful collection of artworks from different ages and styles, as well as many models and explanations of modern technology.


Finally, the day was rounded off by a visit to the Pateleshwar Caves. These are cave temples dating from between 800 and 900 A.D.


The shrine in front of the caves (behind me in the picture) was actually carved out of the surrounding rock, as were the caves. This used to be just one large slab of bedrock. Unfortunately the caves were too dark to get a decent shot, and being a temple I didn't really try, but here is a kneeling bull in the shrine in front of the caves. It also appears to have been carved out of the solid block rather than added later.

1 comment:

Kate the Great said...

Alright, I will admit that you seem to have thumbs, but I still say that frogs don't have thumbs.